World Meteorological Day 2018 Theme Is “Weather-Ready, Climate-Smart”
World meteorological day 2017 theme is “Understanding Clouds“
World meteorological day 2016 theme is “Hotter. Drier. Wetter. Face the Future”.
World meteorological day 2015 theme is “Climate Knowledge for Climate Action ” and 2014 theme is “Weather and climate: engaging youth”
World Meteorological Day Significance
World Meteorology Day is seen on 23 March each year. Recognizes the establishing of the World Meteorological Organization by the WMO Convention in 1950. Imprints a critical event for the World Meteorological Organization. Is commended by 188 individuals from the World Meteorological Organization around the world. In 1951, the WMO was assigned a particular office of the United Nations.
The World Meteorological Organization (WMO)
Started from the International Meteorological Organization (IMO). IMO was established in 1873 and set up in 1950. World Meteorological Organization (WMO) has its home office in Geneva, Switzerland.
World Meteorological Organization (WMO) is a specialized agency of United Nations dealing with:
- Meteorology (weather and climate),
- Operational hydrology
- Geophysical sciences
World Meteorological Day Objectives
World Meteorological Day is celebrated keeping in mind the following aims:
- To advance worldwide participation in the foundation of meteorological perception stations.
- To advance foundation of stations for hydrological and geophysical perceptions.
- To advance support and upkeep of perception stations and outfit them enough with assets for research and hardware.
- To advance the foundation and upkeep of frameworks for the quick trade of meteorological and related data
- To advance institutionalization of meteorological and related perceptions and to guarantee the uniform distribution of perceptions and measurements
- To expand the extent of meteorology to different regions like avionics, shipping, water issues, farming and other human exercises;
- To advance improvement in operational hydrology and encourage close co-activity amongst Meteorological and hydrologicalServices;
- To advance research and preparing in meteorology and in related fields.
- To advance universal coordinated effort in research and preparing.
World Meteorological Day Message
- World Meteorological Day is praised to convey the accompanying messages to people in general:
- Give data to better comprehension of climatic changeability and change.
- Help with understanding the effect of meteorology on condition and environment.
- Approaches to actualize climatic application to address environmental concerns.
World Meteorological Day Themes
Let us now observe WMO themes that have been adopted in the past five years:
- 2014 Theme – Weather and climate: engaging youth
- 2013 Theme – Watching the weather to protect life and property
- 2012 Theme – Powering our future with weather, climate and water
- 2011 Theme – Climate for you
- 2010 Theme – 60 years of service for your safety and well-being
- 2009 Theme – Weather, climate and the air we breathe
- 2008 Theme – Observing our planet for a better future
- 2007 Theme – Polar meteorology: Understanding global impacts
- 2006 Theme – Preventing and mitigating natural disasters
- 2005 Theme – Weather, climate, water and sustainable development
- 2004 Theme – Weather, climate, water in the information age
- 2003 Theme – Our future climate